So, while doing some more research on The Bodies Issue, I remembered that making a kirtle really *is* the more period (and obvious) solution. It's what I had planned on doing with an earlier period Tudor I had planned (think 1520's), but I was going to just do the pair of bodies for this gown, in order to have a reusable and more flexible foundation garment for any future projects. However, having a boned kirtle would be really handy... I could make sleeves for it and wear it on its own to the Renaissance faire and have a kind of historical-ish pink princessy gown for faire before I'm even done with this gown. However, the down side of that plan is that I would have to wear the kirtle (and skirt!) with every single gown I make from here on out... Which isn't necessarily a problem, since it needn't always show through a split skirt. I could always wear another petticoat over it or pin a forepart to it to switch up the look. If I did the kirtle, it would definitely be side-lacing,which would be great for either front or back opening gowns. I guess I could just make a pair of bodies with a matching petticoat for a similar look, but the kirtle would look better on its own than those two pieces worn together, *and* be a more period undergarment... It would also give my pretty silk a chance to shine, since it would show under certain styles if I didn't pin on a forepart or wear another skirt over it.
I have a feeling I'll be going back to Jo Ann's to get some more of that pink silk!
(ten minutes later)
Nevermind. I got my hands on some paper and a pencil and realized that I'd have to build straps into a kirtle, whereas I'll just lace straps onto a pair of bodies, making it more versatile for different necklines. Oh well, it will be easier to stick to the pattern; the gown is drafted to go over the corset from the accompanying pattern, so hopefully that will mean fewer fitting issues. I'll play by the rules... This time!